July 27, 2020
News & notes
- This afternoon 2021 5★ DT Damon Payne committed to Alabama. Payne is ranked the #1 DT, #1 player in the state of Michigan and 14th in the nation, by 247 Sports Composite.
- Pittsburgh received a verbal commitment from 2021 4★ DT Elliot Donald, the nephew to the NFL superstar Aaron Donald. Elliot is ranked 9th best DT, 6th best player in the state of Pennsylvania, and 116th nationally.
- Former New Mexico State DL, Roy Lopez (6’2” / 310) transferred to Arizona after he was granted a 5th year of eligibility. Best season was 2018 where he had 63 tackles, 12½ tackles for a loss, 4 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries.
- Arizona LB Tony Fields who has been a 3-year starter for the Wildcats has entered the transfer portal. Eligible immediately to play as a grad transfer. Huge loss for Arizona’s defense and potential big get for the school that lands Fields.
- 2021 4★ CB Jordan Hancock who was committed to Clemson as late as Wednesday, but flipped to Ohio State on Sunday. This is the 2nd commit to back out in the last couple months (#1 overall player Korey Foreman)
- Oregon receives a verbal commitment from 2022 4★ LB Emar’rion Winston (6’3” / 220). Ranked 20th overall OLB by 247 Sports Composite
- Penn State receives a verbal commitment from 2021 4★ OLB Jamari Buddin (6’2” / 210). Ranked 23rd best player at the position by 247 Sports Composite.
- Miami receives a verbal commitment from 2021 4★ DE Jabari Ishmael (6’5” / 210). Ranked 14th best player at WDE in the state of Florida, by 247 Sports Composite.
- LSU sophomore LB Marcel Brooks has transferred to TCU. Waiting on eligibility ruling. Good pick up for Horn Frogs
- Alabama receives a verbal commitment from 2021 4★ LB Kendrick Blackshire. Ranked 152nd overall in 2021 class by 247 Sports Composite.
Darrell: Junior, DT/DE, Aaron Faumui, Virginia Cavaliers
- 3★ recruit from Hawaii
- Good size at 6’1” / 285 lbs
- Player comp / Leki Fotu
- 13 games, 33 tackles, 8 tackles for a loss, 4 sacks, 2 pbu’s
- Best game vs Liberty (5 tackles, 3 solos, 2½ tackles for a loss, 8 QB pressures, 1½ sacks, 26.3 % pass rush win rate, 1 pbu
- Good play awareness
- Can provide very good pass rush from the interior
- Strength / Power / Leverage
- Improved over course of the season (17 tackles in last 4 games vs Liberty, Va Tech, Clemson & Florida)
Eric: MLB, Nick Bolton, Missouri Tigers Jr,
Who are some off the radar Defensive Line targets that could really break out over the next few years?
Darrell - DE, George Karlaftis, Purdue / DE, Tyreke Smith, Ohio State
DT, Christian Barmore, Alabama / DT, Demarvin Leal, Texas A & M
Eric - Tyler Davis, DT Clemson / Zach Harrison DL, Ohio State / Xavier Kelly, DL Arkansas
- Twitter User @FatAdamSchefter
What is our outlook on Clemson’s incoming #1 freshman DT, Bryan Bresee?
Darrell - Was #1 overall recruit in 2020 by 247 Sports Composite. 1st thing that stands out is his size. He’s a man among boys in these high school games. At 6’5” / 290 lbs he has the frame to play both inside or outside. Very strong and powerful. Displays some quick hands and 1st step quickness. Will be a huge jump in competition for him. The toolbox
is somewhat limited due to not being challenged enough on the field.
- Twitter user - @DynastyTripp
Is LB Micah Parsons a better dynasty asset than RB Kenny Gainwell or WR Jaylen Waddle?
- Twitter user - IDP Dynasty Authority@ONUtyjo
I know safeties are typically lower priority but how do you factor potential roles vs talent?
How much do you bump up guys like Hamsah Nasirildeen or Divine Deablo that could be box safeties at the next level vs better all-around safety prospects like Andre Cisco or Jevon Holland?
- Twitter User - Todd Foster @FF_banterman
How good is Zach Harrison going to be?
Which players are sleepers in college but might not be great pro prospects?